Now loading.
Please wait.


Connect to Municipal Water

Grant Program Offers Financial Assistance

LVGMP-web3The Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA) Well Conversion Grant Program was established through recommendations from the Advisory Committee for Groundwater Management. This program offers financial assistance to well users who are required by the Nevada State Engineer to connect to a municipal water system. It’s also available to well users who volunteer to connect.

For properties using a quasi-municipal or community well, all homes on the well must agree to connect to the municipal system.

The SNWA Well Conversion Grant Program is funded by the Groundwater Management Program fee. Customers applying for the grant program must pay any past-due GMP fee balance owed on the property before grant funding will be awarded. If you have questions about the program, please call (702) 258-7288 or (702) 258-2416.

The program awards grants to well users to pay:

  • Up to 85 percent of the costs to extend (up to 180 feet) water service to your property.
  • 100 percent of the well plugging and abandonment process.
  • $500 toward costs related to the water service connection on your property (onsite costs).

Individuals on public assistance may qualify for 100 percent of the costs.

How to Apply

The following information will assist you through the process of applying for the SNWA Well Conversion Grant Program. In addition to the SNWA application process below, your municipal water purveyor may require additional documentation. Your service provider will assist you with completing the grant application packet.

SNWA Application Packet

Note: You must call SNWA at (702) 258-7288 or (702) 258-2416 to arrange for the pickup of an application packet, or to have that information mailed to you.

The SNWA application packet consists of the following:

Application for Well Conversion and Southern Nevada Water Authority Groundwater Management Program Grant — This is the formal application that must be completed for SNWA to determine eligibility to participate in the financial assistance program. All outstanding Groundwater Management Program fees owed by the property must be paid in full before a grant will be awarded to the property.

  • Well Conversion Estimate Sheet – The Well Conversion Estimate Sheet will be completed by your municipal water purveyor (Las Vegas Valley Water District, City of Henderson or City of North Las Vegas) to detail the costs associated with the conversion. The estimate sheet is divided into three sections: Water Purveyor Offsite Service Installation, Well Abandonment and Plugging, and Credit toward Customer Onsite Property Plumbing.
  • Water Purveyor Offsite Service Installation: This section details the charges by the municipal water purveyor that relate to extension of municipal water service to the street adjacent to the property to be served. The SNWA Groundwater Management Well Conversion Grant Program will provide grant funds to pay up to 85 percent of the service extension for up to 180 feet of this offsite service. For distances over and above 180 feet, it is the responsibility of the customer to identify and pay any charges from the municipal water purveyor. Once an estimate is calculated, the costs are subject to change if the municipal water purveyor service fees increase. To ensure the amount you’ll pay is not increased, payment of the amount to the municipal water purveyor at the time of the estimate will guarantee that your charges will not increase. The customer share, usually 15 percent of the conversion, is due to the municipal water purveyor prior to grant approval by the SNWA and prior to the beginning of construction.
  • Well Abandonment and Plugging: The SNWA Well Conversion Grant Program will properly plug and abandon the well at no charge once the property is connected to the municipal water system. This process may not occur for six months after the municipal connection, depending upon availability of well plugging and abandonment crews.
  • Credit Toward Customer Onsite Property Plumbing: The SNWA will provide grant funds in the amount of $500 for charges related to the service connection on the property of the customer. Charges exceeding $500 are the responsibility of the customer.
  • SNWA Well Conversion Grant Program Entry Easement — As a condition of the grant, you must sign and notarize an easement allowing SNWA and/or its designated contractor on the property to plug and abandon your well after the property is connected to the municipal system. Nevada water law does not allow a groundwater well to continue operation once a municipal water service has been installed. SNWA will plug and abandon the well at no charge. Once the well has been properly plugged and abandoned, SNWA will relinquish the easement from the property.

For more information regarding the grant program, please call SNWA at (702) 258-7288 or (702) 258-2416.